Some of you may be aware that we are now in winter. What does winter mean to most people?? Cold mornings, cold nights, snotty noses, the flu and an increase in moaning. Cold mornings and nights and increase in moaning I can’t help you with I'm afraid, but snotty noses and the flu I can.
What are the best ways to boost your immune system to help fight off the snotty noses and flu?
1) Sleep to help restore and recuperate - a minimum of 7 – 8 hours preferably.
2) Garlic has antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also keeps vampires at bay - Apparently.
3) Good old chicken soup. Chicken contains an amino acid called cysteine that breaks up congestion and strengthens white blood cells. The broth is also ultra hydrating (viruses love to thrive in a dehydrated environment). Add celery, onion, carrot and herbs to boost its immune functions.
4) Probiotics. We have 10 times more bacteria in our guts than we have cells in the body. These friendly little things not only trigger white blood cells to kill bugs, they also attack pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Best sources are fermented foods and beverages such as sauerkraut, kombucha, miso, kefir, kimchi or in supplement form. A minimum of 50billion is recommended as a therapeutic dose.
5) Mushrooms – not the magic type. Shiitake, Reishi and Maitake for example help build resistance to viruses.
Stay flu free and that should help with the moaning.